Re: Heap page diagnostic/test functions (v2)

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Heap page diagnostic/test functions (v2)
Date: 2007-04-07 22:06:41
Lists: pgsql-patches

On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 11:53 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> This looks useful, but shouldn't it be part of /contrib/pgstattuple
> rather than in the backend?

Well, this was written with a view to it being usable for writing test
cases that checked the various tuple states as we went. It was
originally proposed when Tom asked "How will we test HOT?" (concurrent
psql is the other half of the required base functionality to write
sensible test cases).

If we see it as a manual test tool only, contrib is OK. But it has to be
in the backend to be usable in the regression test suite, so thats where
it was designed to go.

--
Simon Riggs