pg_dump is stuck

From: "Nik" <XLPizza(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump is stuck
Date: 2007-03-28 18:35:48
Lists: pgsql-general

PostgreSQL 8.1.3 on Windows 2003 Server.

I am running pg_dumpall on my cluster that is about 500Gb in size. The
dump started ok, but then it gets to a table that's about 160Mb in
size with a 100Mb of indexes and it seems stuck. The dump file is
getting larger, but the dump is not finishing this table. I understand
that it takes a long time to do that, and that the dump file will be
larger than the table+index, but the file size seems a bit excessive
for that table alone. The file is about 22Gb already and it keeps
increasing. Is this normal?

The reason I am running pg_dumpall is that I would like to create an
exact copy of my database on another server. I cannot use create
database with template command since there are connections to the
original database. The dumpall method seems somewhat cumbersome since
it generates only one file that is huge.

Is there another way I could do this that would be faster, more
reliable, and elegant? Could I start archiving the logs for the
original database and then do the pitr on another machine using that
backup and logs?

Thank you.