Re: notification payloads

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: notification payloads
Date: 2007-03-27 13:13:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ühel kenal päeval, T, 2007-03-27 kell 07:11, kirjutas Andrew Dunstan:

> Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > So perhaps it Alvaros proposal can be rephrased thus:
> > "Why have the name on each message? The names are already stored in
> > listen table, just reuse numeric identifier pointing to item in that
> > table. That gives you room for a lot more messages."
> >
> > If there is no name in listen table, it means that nobody is interested
> > and the message can be dropped right away.
> >

> Er, what listen table?

equivalent of pg_listener, see my mail with attached .sql

> The only thing that will be in shared memory is a
> queue and some bookkeeping (queue head per backend). Each backend will
> be responsible for catching the notifications it is interested in and
> discarding the rest

At least the list of which backends listen to which events should be
also in shared mem.

How else would we know how many copies to make for each backend or when
we can release the memory in case we make one copy ?

> (see earlier discussion).

could you post a link to archives ?

I could not find anything relevant in the discussion link from the head
of this mail thread.

--
Hannu Krosing

Skype me: callto:hkrosing
Get Skype for free: http://www.skype.com

NOTICE: This communication contains privileged or other confidential
information. If you have received it in error, please advise the sender
by reply email and immediately delete the message and any attachments
without copying or disclosing the contents.