[Fwd: postgres dev question - MVCC slowdown]

From: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
Cc: Heffter Zsombor <heffter(dot)zsombor(at)euronetrt(dot)hu>
Subject: [Fwd: postgres dev question - MVCC slowdown]
Date: 2007-03-23 10:42:38
Lists: pgsql-general

(see below the original mail I forwarded to the list)

Zsombor,

As far as I know there's no way to disable the MVCC features in
postgres, that's a fundamental design choice in it's workings.

However, your problem can be solved by properly running vacuum on the
tables you update frequently. A first good step would be to enable
autovacuum in the postgres configuration file, that will take care of
most of the vacuuming you need.

As a long term fix would be for you to understand how postgres works and
design your application so it uses it's strengths and avoids it
weaknesses... your mail is not very clear if you tuned the postgres
settings at all, so maybe you should read the docs if you did not do
that already:

Documentation contents:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/index.html
Server configuration:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/runtime-config.html
You should pay special attention to these:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/runtime-config-resource.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/runtime-config-autovacuum.html

HTH,
Csaba.