Re: which distro, or to build

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)CommandPrompt(dot)com>
To: David(dot)Bear(at)asu(dot)edu
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: which distro, or to build
Date: 2007-03-21 06:12:05
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 17:50 -0700, David Bear wrote:
> I'm getting really mad at RHEL 4. They do not package a recent
> postgres in the base distro, and only put 8.1.x in a disk call
> lamp-beta...

This is quite normal. Red Hat "Enterprise Linux" does not apply major
upgrades. For example, RHEL5 ships with PostgreSQL 8.1.8, and it will
stick with PostgreSQL 8.1.X. This is their policy and I like it.

But, for RHEL4, they have an application stack andit has a recent (8.1)
version of PostgreSQL. You can check RHN for this.

If you want to keep more up2date with Red Hat / Fedora / CentOS, you can
use PGDG RPMs that are shipped through PostgreSQL FTP site and its
mirrors. It has almost all PostgreSQL releases for all Red Hat / Fedora
releases (sure, CentOS = Red Hat).

http://www.PostgreSQL.org/ftp/binary

Regards,
--