Re: DBD-pg - server closed the connection unexpectedly

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DBD-pg - server closed the connection unexpectedly
Date: 2007-03-10 00:56:40
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 08:44 -0500, Frank Bax wrote:
> At 03:20 PM 3/7/07, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> >Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca> writes:
> > > Here is a portion of my script. The system() call executes successfully
> > > once, then script crashes. Any ideas why this would happen.
> >
> >What shows up in the postmaster log? Can you get a stack trace from the
> >(presumably) crashing backend?
>

> Backend is not crashing. When I looked at log on this busy system, I found
> out this version is producing numerous warnings about escape sequences in
> other scripts. I will attempt to clean that up; so I can isolate
> messages. I see a few messages about "unexpected EOF on client
> connection"; but I am not certain that they are from my problem script.

I had a problem with similar symptoms on FreeBSD where a kernel bug
caused a protocol violation. I am using SSL, and messages like "Host is
down" appeared in the server logs. I'm not sure what exactly happens
when not using SSL.

The problem is described here:

Thanks to AndrewSN for tracking it down originally.

However, you need to post more information to determine the real cause.

Regards,
Jeff Davis