Re: Bug: Buffer cache is not scan resistant

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
Cc: Luke Lonergan <LLonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Grzegorz Jaskiewicz <gj(at)pointblue(dot)com(dot)pl>, PGSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Doug Rady <drady(at)greenplum(dot)com>, Sherry Moore <sherry(dot)moore(at)sun(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Bug: Buffer cache is not scan resistant
Date: 2007-03-05 20:12:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 11:10 +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> > My proposal for a fix: ensure that when relations larger (much larger?)
> > than buffer cache are scanned, they are mapped to a single page in the
> > shared buffer cache.
>
> How will this approach play together with synchronized scan patches ?

Thanks for considering my patch in this discussion. I will test by
turning shared_buffers down as low as I can, and see if that makes a big
difference.

> Or should synchronized scan rely on systems cache only ?

I don't know what the performance impact of that will be; still good
compared to reading from disk, but I assume much more CPU time.

Regards,
Jeff Davis