SQL Question - Using Group By

From: "Mike" <akiany(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SQL Question - Using Group By
Date: 2007-02-23 19:50:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I have a question about using Group By.

On a table like this:

Type (varchar) | Active (boolean)
Type One | False
Type Two | True
Type One | True
Type Fifty | Flase
Type Two | True

Having this table I want a report grouping Types and giving me more
statistics such as:

Type | Active Count | Inactive Count | Active
Percent

How do i do that?

I can think of :

select Type from table_name group by Type

But that doesn't give me how many active and inactive each had!

Please help me here understand how to approach this.

Thank you,
Mike