Re: Deadlock on transaction

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha <ezequias(dot)rocha(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Deadlock on transaction
Date: 2007-02-12 19:20:51
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-sql

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 12:08, Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha wrote:
> I mean really deadlock. Other transactions can't access the database
> until the main transaction is complete. A question:
>
> PostgreSQL doesn't permit multiple transactions concurrently ?

Again, that's not a deadlock. A deadlock would mean that the
transaction causing the lock never returned, because it wound up waiting
for another transaction that was in turn waiting on it. i.e.

begin transaction a
begin trasnaction b
a does something that waits on b
b does something that waits on a
neither transaction can complete.

What you have is a blocking transaction.

In postgresql, very few transactions tend to block other transactions.

Have you got a test case that demonstrates your problem with blocking?