Re: HOT for PostgreSQL 8.3

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Nikhil S <nikhil(dot)sontakke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: HOT for PostgreSQL 8.3
Date: 2007-02-11 18:16:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ühel kenal päeval, P, 2007-02-11 kell 12:35, kirjutas Tom Lane:
> Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net> writes:
> > What if we would just reuse the root tuple directly instead of turning
> > it into a stub ?
> > This would create a cycle of ctid pointers, which changes the lookup
> > process from 'follow ctid chaint until the end' to 'follow the tid chain
> > until you reach the start'.
>
> How do you know which one is newest?

By xmin,cmin of course .

> What happens when you have to put a newer version off-page for lack of space?

Then this scheme won't work.

How about adding a new 2-byte field to header for in-page c_tid poiner
for HOT ?

It grows header from 26 to 28 bytes, but for MAXALIGN=4 the space usage
would stay the same.

--
Hannu Krosing

Skype me: callto:hkrosing