Re: psql won't stayed connected

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Izzet" <Kevin(dot)Izzet(at)nsc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql won't stayed connected
Date: 2004-08-06 14:41:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Kevin Izzet" <Kevin(dot)Izzet(at)nsc(dot)com> writes:
> Thanks for the reply but forgive my ignorance but how do I setup the
> debugger breakpoint ?

Something like this:

PGOPTIONS="-W 30" psql ...
Use ps to determine PID of backend connected to psql
gdb /path/to/postgres-executable PID-of-backend
gdb> break proc_exit
gdb> continue
(wait for rest of timeout to expire)
gdb will report reaching proc_exit breakpoint
gdb> bt
... interesting result is here ...
gdb> quit

If you've never done this before it will probably take you more than 30
seconds to get into gdb --- adjust the W option accordingly.