Re: Connection state after network failure?

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Kevin Birkett <KBirkett(at)icudata(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connection state after network failure?
Date: 2007-02-09 22:32:56
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 13:10, Kevin Birkett wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm having a problem with our software which uses Postgres 7.2.3 and
> the JDBC driver associated with it. In our code we only create one
> connection to the database, and then use that connection as needed for
> our DB interaction. The problem comes in when I simulate a network
> failure (yank the cat5) after the app has started up and connected to
> the remote database. I've tried an idea I found by searching the
> archives of this mailing list, but I haven't been able to get it to
> work.

I can only assume you're using the same jdbc driver version as you are
postgresql.

7.2.3 is quite old. We had some minor issues with the early 7.4 jdbc
drivers, and there have been man releases since then.

pgsql 7.2 has known unfixable bugs, and given enough time, it WILL eat
your data.

Please investigate updating to the latest or nearly so version of
postgresql and see if that helps. I'd recommend at least 8.1.x, but the
latest 8.2.3 seems pretty stable and I'm testing it already for internal
use.