Re: PostgreSQL 9.0

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Jorge Godoy <jgodoy(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dawid Kuroczko <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 9.0
Date: 2007-01-30 18:42:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2007-01-30 at 02:35 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > Something different than rules?
> > (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/rules.html) (They exist for a
> > while, I've just linked the latest released docs...)
> >
> Quite. Rules are not updateable views. Rules are a hacked up way to
> create an updateable view.

I wouldn't go that far. Rules can do things that updatable views can't
do. Sometimes a view can't be updatable because an update to that view
would be ambiguous (as far as the system knows), but you can still use
the well-defined rules system to *tell* the system what you want an
update to mean.

Updatable views provide a subset of the functionality of rules, but they
do it automatically without much effort on the part of the DBA. That's
great, but it won't replace rules.

Regards,
Jeff Davis