Re: [HACKERS] Autovacuum loose ends

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Autovacuum loose ends
Date: 2005-07-27 22:05:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> Ok, so there's a reason for having a manual stat-reset. However what's
> the rationale for cleaning stats at postmaster start? In fact I think
> it's actively bad because you lose any data you had before postmaster
> stop/crash.

We probably *should* drop the stats file if any WAL replay activity
occurs, because the stats file could be out of sync with reality
--- this is particularly important in a PITR recovery situation,
where the stats file is likely to be WAY out of sync. (Maybe only
clobber it in PITR mode?)

I agree that the argument for doing it in a normal restart is pretty
weak.