Re: Autoanalyze settings with zero scale factor

From: "Jeremy Haile" <jhaile(at)fastmail(dot)fm>
To: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Autoanalyze settings with zero scale factor
Date: 2007-01-18 20:21:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Unless it's just a bug, my only guess is that autovacuum may be getting
> busy at times (vacuuming large tables for example) and hasn't had a
> chance to even look at that table for a while, and by the time it gets
> to it, there have been tens of thousands of inserts. Does that sounds
> plausible?

Possible, but I think your next suggestion is more likely.

> Also, are other auto-vacuums and auto-analyzes showing up in the
> pg_stats table? Maybe it's a stats system issue.

No tables have been vacuumed or analyzed today. I had thought that this
problem was due to my pg_autovacuum changes, but perhaps not. I
restarted PostgreSQL (in production - yikes) About a minute after being
restarted, the autovac process fired up.

What could get PG in a state where autovac isn't running? Is there
anything I should watch to debug or monitor for this problem in the
future? I wish I'd noticed whether or not the stats collector process
was running before I restarted.