Re: backup manifests and contemporaneous buildfarm failures

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Suraj Kharage <suraj(dot)kharage(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, tushar <tushar(dot)ahuja(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tels <nospam-pg-abuse(at)bloodgate(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Jeevan Chalke <jeevan(dot)chalke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: backup manifests and contemporaneous buildfarm failures
Date: 2020-04-04 14:57:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> hyrax's last run was before any of this happened, so it seems to have
> an unrelated problem. The last two runs, three and six days ago, both
> failed like this:

> -ERROR: stack depth limit exceeded
> +ERROR: stack depth limit exceeded at character 8

> Not sure what that's about.

What it looks like is that hyrax is managing to detect stack overflow
at a point where an errcontext callback is active that adds an error
cursor to the failure.

It's not so surprising that we could get a different result that way
from a CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS animal like hyrax, since CCA-forced
cache reloads would cause extra stack expenditure at a lot of places.
And it could vary depending on totally random details, like the number
of local variables in seemingly unrelated code. What is odd is that
(AFAIR) we've never seen this before. Maybe somebody recently added
an error cursor callback in a place that didn't have it before, and
is involved in SQL-function processing? None of the commits leading
up to the earlier failure look promising for that, though.