Re: Function execution costs 'n all that

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Richard Troy <rtroy(at)ScienceTools(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Function execution costs 'n all that
Date: 2007-01-15 18:54:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 10:51 -0800, Richard Troy wrote:
> I therefore propose that the engine evaluate -
> benchmark, if you will - all functions as they are ingested, or
> vacuum-like at some later date (when valid data for testing may exist),
> and assign a cost relative to what it already knows - the built-ins, for
> example.

That seems pretty unworkable. It is unsafe, for one: evaluating a
function may have side effects (inside or outside the database), so the
DBMS cannot just invoke user-defined functions at whim. Also, the
relationship between a function's arguments and its performance will
often be highly complex -- it would be very difficult, not too mention
computationally infeasible, to reconstruct that relationship
automatically, especially without any real knowledge about the
function's behavior.

-Neil