Re: BUG #16827: macOS interrupted syscall leads to a crash

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Ricardo Ungureanu <ricardoungureanu(at)gmail(dot)com>, kimon(dot)krenz(at)part9(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #16827: macOS interrupted syscall leads to a crash
Date: 2021-01-22 17:47:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Tom, all, this seems like a serious problem likely to become more
> widespread. I don't really know how we can reasonably address this
> short-term, adding EINTR handling to all the places that don't yet have
> it (and ensuring that it stays that way) seems like it's a lot to backport.

The only idea that comes to mind is to invent a wrapper for open
(and other affected syscalls) that adds a loop-on-EINTR. Ugly,
and it would not fix third-party extensions until they're recompiled.

My inclination is to regard this as something that's Apple's problem,
at least for now. Perhaps they'll realize what a disaster it is.
(OTOH, they've proven pretty mulish on making SIP usable...)