Re: TypeInfoCache

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Daniel Migowski <dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: TypeInfoCache
Date: 2007-12-20 15:38:36
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Daniel Migowski <dmigowski(at)ikoffice(dot)de> writes:
> * At first, VARCHAR as defined by SQL and as used by all other JDBC
> drivers always has a upper limit. LONGVARCHAR is for very large
> quantities of text, so IMHO returning a "text" or an unrestricted
> "varchar" as VARCHAR just breaks the specs and the expectations.

Unfortunately, LONGVARCHAR is no more standard than TEXT, at least
as far as the non-JDBC world is concerned.

I concur with the complaints that LONGVARCHAR is likely to prompt
applications to do things that might be enormously inefficient overkill
for typical-size fields. If the driver had a way to know which fields
are likely to be wide, it'd be OK to translate them to LONGVARCHAR,
but I'm dubious about doing that for text fields in general.