Re: WITH support

From: Mark Cave-Ayland <mark(dot)cave-ayland(at)ilande(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Edwin Ramirez <edwin(dot)ramirez(at)mssm(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WITH support
Date: 2006-12-30 16:56:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 2006-12-30 at 00:49 -0500, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On 12/29/06, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > No code yet, and I don't remember who said they were working on it.
>
> I'm still waiting to hear from Mark Cave-Ayland on whether he's going
> to pick it up or whether I'll just do it. One way or another, there
> should be some movement regarding design discussion within a week or
> two.

Hi everyone,

Sorry to come in late on this discussion - I've been playing catch-up
with emails over the festive season...

The situation regarding WITH support is that it's something which I am
picking up in my spare time (out of work hours) and so unfortunately
progress isn't as rapid as I would like. See here for my last meaningful
patch and Tom's feedback:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-09/msg00260.php. The
idea was to first implement just the WITH clause itself as a first
patch, and then extend to include the recursive features with a
secondary patch.

In short, if people don't mind waiting for my free cycles to come along
then I will continue to chip away at it; otherwise if it's considered an
essential for 8.3 with an April deadline then I will happily hand over
to Jonah.

Kind regards,

Mark.