Re: MySQL drops support for most distributions

From: Reece Hart <reece(at)harts(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, "John D(dot) Burger" <john(at)mitre(dot)org>, pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MySQL drops support for most distributions
Date: 2006-12-14 05:25:52
Lists: pgsql-general

> I think the real criterion for big companies is not so much whether
> you're supporting your "own" product as whether you're big enough to
> be worth suing if things go wrong.

This is a common misunderstanding and it is incorrect, at least in my
experience. I work at a company with >10K people. I oversee computer
architecture and operations for Research (~800 people) and I work very
closely with our large IT group.

In order to understand how we purchase hardware, software, or support,
you have to understand what's important to us. A successful company must
focus on their products and not irrelevant details about how they gets
produced and delivered. Employees may personally care about the detailed
means to product, but successful companies and their managers -- and,
ultimately, customers and stock holders -- do not.

The major concerns for our purchases include: 1) Does it meet our
functional requirements? 2) Does it integrate with our existing
infrastructure? 3) Can we identify a support channel? and 4) What's the
risk relative to other options? These days, OSS packages frequently
exceed functional requirements over proprietary alternatives. Apache is
an irrefutable example. Big vendors often have proven track records for
(2) and (3), but it's not the bigness per se that appeals. We choose
small vendors when that's appropriate for a need. Whom we sue when
things go wrong is almost never a consideration during purchasing. If a
relationship goes south, a suit is unlikely to address our primary goal,
the product.

Now, lest you think I'm a corporate troll on the pg lists, I should tell
you that I'm probably among the most visible and vocal open source
supporters here. I've long railed against proprietary software -- not
because of support issues but because I view *some* proprietary software
as a real threat to our long-term success. What's important is that our
data are usable in ways we see fit, without encumbrance from vendors.
This is not the goal of big vendors who require depend on lock-in for
growth.

The EnterpriseDB folks have the right strategy. Nobody wants Oracle
itself, but rather they want database services that behave like Oracle
(er, except the parts that annoy). If I can't tell that I'm not talking
to Oracle but getting the "right" answers, why should I care? Cheaper
too? Even better. Oracle should be scared because it seems inevitable
that their database business will be commoditized out of existence.

Concern for risk is perhaps the most elusive problem for OSS providers
and supporters. Companies don't like risk, and *any* change to a working
process is a risk. Much to my chagrin, this risk makes it difficult to
unseat even mediocre products. We should all cheer EnterpriseDB's
success in booking some big name companies. Their successes will
establish PostgreSQL as a reliable, cost-effective, and empowering
alternative to proprietary databases and therefore decrease the risk
concerns.

The only reason I spent this much time weighing in is because I'm
thrilled with PostgreSQL (er, sorry Tom, Postgres) and appreciate and
respect the terrific work done in this community. Thank you.

Cheers,
Reece

--
Reece Hart, http://harts.net/reece/, GPG:0x25EC91A0
./universe -G 6.672e-11 -e 1.602e-19 -protonmass 1.673e-27 -uspres bush