Re: Re: Suggestion: Issue warning when calling SET TRANSACTION outside transaction block

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Suggestion: Issue warning when calling SET TRANSACTION outside transaction block
Date: 2013-11-19 17:24:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> Robert Haas wrote
>> I don't think it's worth breaking backward compatibility. I'm not
>> entirely sure what I would have decided here in a vacuum, but at this
>> point existing precedent seems determinative.

> Well, at this point we have already broken backward compatibility by
> releasing this. With Tom's thread necromancy I missed the fact this got
> released in 9.3

Uh, what? The commit I'm objecting to is certainly not in 9.3.
It's this one:

Author: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Branch: master [a54141aeb] 2013-10-04 13:50:28 -0400

Issue error on SET outside transaction block in some cases

Issue error for SET LOCAL/CONSTRAINTS/TRANSACTION outside a transaction
block, as they have no effect.

Per suggestion from Morten Hustveit

I agree that it's too late to reconsider the behavior of pre-existing
cases such as LOCK TABLE, but that doesn't mean I can't complain about
this one.