Re: "column i.indnkeyatts does not exist" in pg_upgrade from 11dev to 11b1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "column i.indnkeyatts does not exist" in pg_upgrade from 11dev to 11b1
Date: 2018-05-29 18:00:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> writes:
> I've used pg_upgrade like this before, but maybe from a different (recent)
> 11dev HEAD; I found: "pg_upgrade supports upgrades from 8.4.X and later to the
> current major release of PostgreSQL, including snapshot and beta releases."
> (But maybe upgrades FROM beta releases aren't supported in the general case?)

Yeah, that :-(. pg_dump's approach to cross-version catalog differences
can only cope with differences between major versions. So if it sees
a server that calls itself 11-something it's going to think that means
the current catalog layout. There's no good way to deal with pre-beta
snapshot versions, other than to dump with a pg_dump of the same vintage.