Re: Speed of postgres compared to ms sql, is this

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: Tomi N/A <hefest(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, harding(dot)ian(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Speed of postgres compared to ms sql, is this
Date: 2006-12-05 22:38:27
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 16:32, Tomi N/A wrote:

> One type of query does come to mind, now that I think about it.
> pgsql has trouble handling queries like
> SELECT * FROM t0 WHERE t0.id_t1 IN (SELECT t1.id FROM t1 WHERE...)

> When the subselect returns a lot of results, pgsql really takes it's time.

Just wondering what version of pgsql you were using, as the in()
performance has been greatly improved in the newer versions.

What I noticed was that PostgreSQL was better under parallel load than
MSSQL server was. Our pgsql 7.2 server would routinely outrun the MSSQL
server (This was like 3 years ago) when they were both moderately
loaded. Of course, we didn't run a lot of where in () queries on the
pgsql server, we re-worked them to favor postgresql's query planner of
the time.