Re: postgresql roadmap for horizontal scalability?

From: "Andrew Hammond" <andrew(dot)george(dot)hammond(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgresql roadmap for horizontal scalability?
Date: 2006-12-04 16:56:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Timasmith wrote:

> That is awesome. I am not worried about the time to replicate - this
> is supposed to be static, very infrequently changing data (like form
> controls, security etc.) so there is no expectation changes are real
> time.

Be very sure that this is covered in the specifications or you may end
up with PHB types asking you why the changes aren't propagated in real
time.

> I am envisioning a powerful,.highly available central server and then a
> slew of cheap servers.

If you intend to use the slony based approach above, then I suggest
that your cheap servers need to be reliable. In the event of a single
node's failure, cruft will begin accumulating on all the nodes until
that node is either dropped or brought back online and catches back up.

Drew