Re: BUG #2795: can't start service postgre

From: "Jeremy Haile" <jhaile(at)fastmail(dot)fm>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2795: can't start service postgre
Date: 2006-11-30 17:11:34
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I doubt this is really "a bug." This usually just means that the server
failed to start for some reason (port already in use, bad configuration,
etc.) Any startup problem with the database will result in this
behavior.

However - what might could be addressed is that it is pretty difficult
to debug what is actually causing Postgres to not start. Is it logged
anywhere? Typically I debug this by switching to the postgres user and
trying to start pg_ctl manually, which will print out the problem. But
there's got to be a better way.