Re: BUG #2685: Wrong charset of server messages on client

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sergiy Vyshnevetskiy <serg(at)vostok(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2685: Wrong charset of server messages on client
Date: 2006-10-10 20:35:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Sergiy Vyshnevetskiy <serg(at)vostok(dot)net> writes:
> Here is a new and improved patch, that closes security hole as well.

We really can't consider a patch like this, because not only does it
ignore the problem of multiple spellings of encoding names, but it
actually breaks existing functionality on platforms with a variant
spelling of the name. I think a minimum requirement ought to be that
it work with any of the spellings recognized by initdb.