Re: Open source databases '60 per cent cheaper'

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Open source databases '60 per cent cheaper'
Date: 2006-11-22 18:59:55
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2006-11-22 at 10:07 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > If there is some great replication solution that a lot of people need
> > and it will only work with a change to core, that change might make it
> > in.
> >
> > However, there may not be nifty syntax changes nor GUCs in core to
> > support a specific implementation of a replicator.
>
> There is definitely another reason though :). Adding a replication
> solution that is integrated *will* increase development overhead in
> terms of support.
>
> Replication touches (alot) of places.

Yes, you're absolutely right.

However, hypothetically, if there was a great replication solution that
helped a lot of people, and it needed some changes to core, I don't
think the patch would be rejected as long as:

(1) The changes are as minimal as possible
(2) The changes are applicable to an entire class of replication, not
just a single implementation

Regards,
Jeff Davis