Re: [CORE] SPF Record ...

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: [CORE] SPF Record ...
Date: 2006-11-19 19:57:10
Lists: pgsql-www

> How many on this list do anything to contribute to Razory/Pyzor/Spamcop, but
> make use of Spamassassin? I know until I setup Maia here, that it was just way
> to much work to report each message individually ...

Well to be honest, I only use greylisting and just delete any spam I get
throughout the day.

> The thing is, 'checking for spam as it comes in' doesn't get rid of, or reduce,
> the problem ... SPF might not be it either ... but, if (in a perfect world)
> every mail server forced something like SPF, so that ppl could only send email
> through a legit mail server (ie. commandprompt.com email through a
> commandprompt.com mail server, gmx.net mail through a gmx.net mail server, etc)
> ... would that not reduce the overall spam on the 'Net?

Sure but you do have at least one person that is highly qualified to
make his point known, that this is a bad idea (AndrewS).

> I don't know the answer to this, nor do I truly believe anyone here on this
> list can say with certainty ... all my goal was with adding a simple SPF record
> was to try and further reduce the possibility of someone using @postgresql.org
> for spam purposes, as well as providing more information to spam filters as to
> whether or not email addressed that way should be concerned legit or not ...

Fair enough but honestly, who cares...? Nobody I know uses SPF and thus
although a good natured, and ethically positive idea, it wouldn't make
much if any difference.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/