Re: Syntax error in a large COPY

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Reg Me Please <regmeplease(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Scott Marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Syntax error in a large COPY
Date: 2007-11-06 21:40:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Reg Me Please <regmeplease(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'm trying to understand what and where.
> The point is that I have this 29M+ lines script telling me there's a problem
> somewhere.

It told you exactly where it detected the problem.

Actually ... are you looking at the right error message? If this is a
copy operation within a larger psql script, I think it's probably true
that psql will point at the end of the copy data, because *it* doesn't
know any better. But the error message from the backend should
correctly finger which line of copy input it got confused at.