Re: Coding style question

From: <korryd(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Coding style question
Date: 2006-11-02 20:02:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> <korryd(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> > initializers also force you to declare variables in the scope where they
> > are needed. Instead of declaring every variable at the start of the
> > function, it's better to declare them as nested as practical (not as
> > nested as possible, but as nested as practical).
>
> I agree that in many places it'd be better style to declare variables in
> smaller scopes ... but that's not the point you started the thread with.
> In any case, the initializer-vs-assignment decision is the same no
> matter what scope you're talking about --- I don't see how that "forces"
> you to do it either way.

Right - I should have said that proper initialization encourages you to
declare variables in nested scopes (proper meaning that the initializer
puts a meaningful value into the variable, not just a default NULL or 0)
- if the initializer depends on a computed value, you can't initialize
until that value has been computed.

I guess the two issues are not all that related - you can initialize
without nesting (in many cases) and you can nest without initializing.
They are both readability and maintainability issues to me.

Thanks for the feedback.

-- Korry