Re: --single-transaction doc clarification

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: --single-transaction doc clarification
Date: 2006-10-30 22:56:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > Clarification of when it's not appropriate to use this option.
>
> I think it's a fairly bad idea to try to enumerate the commands that
> can't be used in a transaction block here, because there is no way
> that we will remember to keep such a list up-to-date. Why not just
> say "It won't work for commands that can't be used in a transaction
> block"?

I agree, but such a comment immediately begs the question: What is the
list of commands this applies to? I was surprised how long a list it was
myself, hence the patch.

(Checks)...The man pages for VACUUM, CREATE TABLESPACE, CLUSTER and
REINDEX DATABASE don't mention they are not allowed inside a transaction
block at all, so I'm not sure if doing it the other way around helps
with maintaining docs...

I prefer useful info rather than hidden gotchas, even if the list might
possibly be < 100% exactly correct. At least we can say we tried.

--
Simon Riggs