Re: New CRC algorithm: Slicing by 8

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Gurjeet Singh" <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, "PGSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New CRC algorithm: Slicing by 8
Date: 2006-10-23 17:44:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> These numbers are um, not impressive. Considering that a large fraction
> of our WAL records are pretty short, the fact that slice8 consistently
> loses at short buffer lengths is especially discouraging. Much of that
> ground could be made up perhaps with tenser coding of the initialization
> and finalization code, but it'd still not be worth taking any legal risk
> for AFAICS.

It doesn't look good for SB8, does it? Nor for gcc4.1 either.

Presumably Intel themselves will have some come-back, but I'm not sure
what they'll so to so many conclusive tests.

Instead, I'd like to include a parameter to turn off CRC altogether, for
heavily CPU bound operations and the WAL drive on trustworthy hardware.

wal_checksum = off

--
Simon Riggs