Problem with migration

From: radgar(at)wp(dot)pl
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problem with migration
Date: 2006-10-20 10:07:00
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

What I tried to achieve is move pgsql database from one machine to
another. Obviously the new machine has also new version of pgsql (7.4,
it's not actually "new"; the old machine has pgsql 7.0 installed).

I read a lot of different howto's and simple tips - nothing worked
(starting with the migration.html document) - everything failed. I
figured out that the problem lays with the pg_dumpall not creating the
databases (-d worked most of times - not sure, didn't record every move
I took), but it didn't create the users (pgsql users that is). So my
question is:

Is there any way to move the pgsql user database (pg_shadow)? Or has
anyone got an idea how to simply move from one version to other on two
different machines?

regards,
Rafal Mroz