Re: Frontend error logging style

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Frontend error logging style
Date: 2022-03-29 22:38:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> writes:
> On 29 Mar 2022, at 16:38, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>> Most of these should probably be addressed separately from Tom's patch.

> Yeah, I think so too.

Agreed. I tried to confine my patch to mechanical changes, except
for changing places where the detail/hint features could be used.
(I don't say that I yielded to temptation nowhere, because I don't
recall that for certain; but editing the message texts was not the
point of my patch.)

Feel free to work on a followup editing patch though.

Another thing that occurred to me as I looked at your list is that
I think a lot of these are nearly-can't-happen cases that we didn't
put a lot of effort into devising great error messages for. Maybe
we should continue that approach, and in particular not put effort
into translating such messages. That would suggest inventing
"pg_fatal_internal" and so forth, with the same functionality
except for not being gettext triggers, comparable to
errmsg_internal. However, then somebody would have to make
judgment calls about which messages not to bother translating.
Do we want to go down that path?