Re: Asynchronous I/O Support

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Raja Agrawal <raja(dot)agrawal(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Asynchronous I/O Support
Date: 2006-10-15 18:26:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 2006-10-15 at 19:56 +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> Sure, I even implemented it once. Didn't get any faster.

Did you just do something akin to s/read/aio_read/ etc., or something
more ambitious? I think that really taking advantage of the ability to
have multiple I/O requests outstanding would take some leg work.

> Maybe one of these days I should work out if my current system supports
> it, and give it another go...

At least according to [1], kernel AIO on Linux still doesn't work for
buffered (i.e. non-O_DIRECT) files. There have been patches available
for quite some time that implement this, but I'm not sure when they are
likely to get into the mainline kernel.

-Neil

[1] http://lse.sourceforge.net/io/aio.html