Re: Performance

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance
Date: 2011-04-26 05:35:35
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Apr 13, 2011, at 6:19 PM, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz> wrote:
> Yes, I've had some lectures on non-linear programming so I'm aware that
> this won't work if the cost function has multiple extremes (walleys /
> hills etc.) but I somehow suppose that's not the case of cost estimates.

I think that supposition might turn out to be incorrect, though. Probably what will happen on simple queries is that a small change will make no difference, and a large enough change will cause a plan change. On complex queries it will approach continuous variation but why shouldn't there be local minima?

...Robert