Re: Replication and PITR

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Bo Lorentsen <bl(at)netgroup(dot)dk>
Cc: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replication and PITR
Date: 2006-09-22 17:34:56
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, 2006-09-22 at 07:47 +0200, Bo Lorentsen wrote:
> Bill Moran wrote:
> > - No reliability. On slow days, WAL logs could take a long time to
> > rotate, so small but important transactions might not be replicated
> > for a long time.
> >
> So it is all right for backup but for replication it could end up laking
> too much behind, and a fail over could be hours behind.
>
> So PITR can be used, but one of the cons is the unpredictable delay of
> data. I thought one of the ideas behind the PITR system was to get
> rather reason backups of data ...

8.2 will fix this. You can send the WALs periodically even if they're
not full. In general, PITR will be substantially improved in 8.2 (thanks
Simon!).

The beta should be out soon enough. Download it (or the CVS) and try it
out. It never hurts to actually simulate a failure and see how quickly
and effectively you actually can recover. That is especially true in
8.1, where PITR is still somewhat rough around the edges.

Regards,
Jeff Davis