Re: Backend Crash v8.4.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kelly Burkhart <kelly(dot)burkhart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backend Crash v8.4.2
Date: 2010-06-30 16:07:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Kelly Burkhart <kelly(dot)burkhart(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I had our system people install the debug symbols and I get the same
> stack trace. I believe the symbols are indeed installed, yesterday
> when I started gdb I saw a bunch of lines like this:

> Missing separate debuginfo for /usr/lib64/libssl.so.0.9.8
> Try: zypper install -C
> "debuginfo(build-id)=c1d9e2a7e013149b5acc4d3580724d4827f5827c"

> I don't see that now.

That sounds like you have symbols now for the system libraries, but not
postgresql itself.

> It's a well established query done probably several times each
> morning. I don't know how to create a reproducible test case as I
> can't determine anything that we did yesterday that was any different
> from any other day.

Best guess from here is that you managed to run into some sort of
cache-reload bug; those are very sensitive to concurrent operations
since you only see them when a shared cache inval event happens at
just the wrong time. I would recommend an update to 8.4.4 since we
did stomp two or three critters of that ilk in the last few months,
but I can't really guarantee that we found the one that bit you.

While you're at it, please try to make sure you install a non-symbol-
stripped version of 8.4.4. If it does happen again, at least you'll
be prepared to collect more data.