Re: Is it possible to left join based on previous joins

From: Ragnar <gnari(at)hive(dot)is>
To: emilu(at)encs(dot)concordia(dot)ca
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is it possible to left join based on previous joins
Date: 2006-09-07 14:30:50
Lists: pgsql-sql

On fim, 2006-09-07 at 10:02 -0400, Emi Lu wrote:
> I tried the example as the following:
>
> create table a(col1);
> create table b(col1, col2)
>
> select a.*
> from a inner join b using(col2)
> left join b.col2 as c on (c.col1 = a.col1)
>
> System notifies me that b is not a schema name.
>
> So, I guess the approach that I tried to do is not acceptable by Pgsql
> grammar.

it seems to me that basically you want to
select from a table whose name is stored in another
table.

one way to do that would be to use plpgsql or
some other procedural language to create
a set returning function, so that you
could do:
SELECT * from selfromtab('sometable');

after that is done,you might be able to use that
in joins

gnari