Re: Prepared statements considered harmful

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Prepared statements considered harmful
Date: 2006-08-31 19:11:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ühel kenal päeval, N, 2006-08-31 kell 20:01, kirjutas Peter Eisentraut:

> For PL/pgSQL, you simply write a query and all the preparing action
> happens implicitly. There is nothing explicit about that interface.
>
> So if users have certain expectations here, they're just making them up.

Or basing them on experience.

I for one would not like it at all if all my queries (select * from
plpgsqlfunc()) just magically become slower by 10-50%

If there will be an option not to plan/optimise prepared statemants, I
would certainly expect it to be off by default.

--
Hannu Krosing

Skype me: callto:hkrosing
Get Skype for free: http://www.skype.com