Re: Catching postgres exceptions - functions returning

From: Mario Splivalo <mario(dot)splivalo(at)mobart(dot)hr>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Catching postgres exceptions - functions returning
Date: 2006-08-31 09:22:39
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 18:27 +0200, Marc Herbert wrote:
> > Also, some of the functions need to return errorcode of some sort. If
> > the function is returning SETOF, I can't use OUT parametars. So, I'm
> > asking for a recomendation here.
>
> Maybe you want to use the SQLState
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/errcodes-appendix.html
>
> http://www.easysoft.com/developer/interfaces/odbc/sqlstate_status_return_codes.html
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odbc/htm/odbcodbc_error_codes.asp
>
> http://www.opengroup.org/bookstore/catalog/c451.htm (appendix A)
> http://www.opengroup.org/bookstore/catalog/c449.htm (appendix B)

Thank you! :) Although I've found out that errcodes-appendix.html from
postgresql manual doesn't contain some errors, for instance:

org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: Connection refused. Check that the
hostname and port are correct and that the postmaster is accepting
TCP/IP connections.
at
org.postgresql.jdbc1.AbstractJdbc1Connection.openConnection(AbstractJdbc1Connection.java:204)
at org.postgresql.Driver.connect(Driver.java:139)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:525)
at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:171)
at Example1.main(Example1.java:31)
--------------------------
Message: Connection refused. Check that the hostname and port are
correct and that the postmaster is accepting TCP/IP connections.
SQLState: 08004
ErrorCode: 0

This, 08004 is not listed there.

Then, if I throw some 'custom' exception from postgres (using plpgsql
RAISE EXCEPTION), I'll get SQLState code P0001 from getSQLState(). If I
want to know what realy happened, I need to parse what getMessage()
returns. Is there another way?

Mario
--
Mario Splivalo
Mob-Art

"I can do it quick, I can do it cheap, I can do it well. Pick any two."