Re: WAL_DEBUG logs spurious data

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL_DEBUG logs spurious data
Date: 2012-10-11 22:11:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch> writes:
> I stumbled across a minor issue in xlog.c:1030: the WAL_DEBUG code block
> there passes rdata->data to the rm_desc() methode. However, that's only
> the first XLogRecData struct, not the entire XLog record. So the
> rm_desc() method effectively reports spurious data for any subsequent part.

The original design intention was that rm_desc should not attempt to
print any such data, but obviously some folks didn't get the word.
The question is whether we're willing to add a lot of cycles to
XLOG_DEBUG mode in order to make the full record available for printing
purposes. Not sure if it's a good tradeoff or not.