Re: notification payloads

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: notification payloads
Date: 2007-03-27 04:21:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> ... But ISTM that means we just need to pick a few strategic spots
> that will call CHECK_FOR_NOTIFICATIONS() even in the middle of a
> transaction and store them locally.

Minor comment --- I don't believe in having a separate "sprinkle" of
notify-specific checks. It needs to be set up so that
CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS will deal with the catch-up-please signal. We've
already done (most of) the work of making sure CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS is
called often enough, and AFAICS we'd end up needing
CHECK_FOR_NOTIFICATIONS in exactly those same loops anyway.

It definitely helps here that CHECK_FOR_NOTIFICATIONS need affect only
localized state of a particular subsystem that nothing else depends on.
I've been wishing we could handle SI inval at more places than we do
now, but that seems a lot harder :-(