Re: Standby Mode

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Standby Mode
Date: 2006-08-02 22:34:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 13:05 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> How close do your PITR patches take us to Oracle's "Standby Databases"?
> I'm trying to decide whether it's a "major features" for PR purposes or
> not.

That was pretty much the sweet spot I was aiming at. Many databases
support such functionality.

Oracle supports five gradations of functionality, of which we hit first
two. There is a sixth level also, which we can hit using Hannu's ideas
but thats a roll-your own for now.

It would be fair to say that we may support Standby Databases with
asynchronous log file shipping.

[I have an outstanding question on how to include LWlock support into
the archiver, required to flesh out the feature set, and of course
assuming these patches being accepted.]

--
Simon Riggs