Re: Lurking Wanna Be

From: Glenn Davy <glenn(at)tangelosoftware(dot)net>
To: Hal Davison <herbie(at)faams(dot)net>
Cc: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>, glenn(at)tangelosoftware(dot)com(dot)au, pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Lurking Wanna Be
Date: 2006-07-27 00:37:15
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 19:47 -0400, Hal Davison wrote:
> Sean,
>
> Being specific..
>
> The PostgreSQL is running on Linux.
>
> The client/users will connect from their bloated Intel PCs.

By bloaded Intel PC's Im guessing you mean "Windows"? All my linux is
on intel also.

maybe the question your trying to ask is what screen/client side tools
does postgres come with - and the answer in this sense is none. There is
a product you can navigate to from the pg site call pgadmin which will
let you visually access the data, but i dont think its what you're after

> With an HTML browser they could connect from anywhere and any box if
> that option were available.

so if you want to go this way you could a web application framework like
turbogears, django or ruby on rails - google for these - theres no
shortage of detail out there inlucding screen casts etc etc

> I'm looking for a tool or toolset that will enable one to 'PAINT' the
> screen, extract information from one or more datasets, display the
> information. Give the user some interaction and send the changed
> information back to the db server.

'Paint' implies a very visual process - perhaps you could check dabo
(http://www.dabodev.com) again have a look at their screen casts and see
if it does what you want.

there are also things like delphi which snuggles up nicely to postgres,
and perhaps you can use vb.net - dont know about that, or even old
fashion vb?

you can alsothere are also things like delphi which snuggles up nicely
to postgres, and perhaps you can use vb.net - dont know about that, or
even old fashion vb? use microsoft access which with odbc and I
understand many people do that - and if these other options sound
daunting, its possibly your shortest root with smallest learning curve
(except maybe dabo?)

do you/are you willing to program at all? all of these (even access)
will involve -some- programing.

other people, what else is out there in windows desktop land (esp that
may not involve programing)? it would make an interesting survey to hear
what other people are using for this type of application and what is and
isnt effective.

glenn