streaming bytea: is it possible ?

From: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
To: Postgres JDBC <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: streaming bytea: is it possible ?
Date: 2006-07-25 16:37:33
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi all,

I wonder if it is possible to stream bytea fields without reading them
completely in memory ?

The reason I want that is because I want to use slony1 to replicate some
tables containing BLOBs, and slony can't handle BLOBs. So I would like
to convert the BLOBs to bytea (which can be handled properly by slony1),
but I can't afford to load the complete BLOBs in memory, I only need to
stream them. Now I wonder if the postgres JDBC implementation/postgres
server is capable of doing that, or any of them needs to have the
complete bytea in memory at one point...

Of course I could check the source but if any of you knows it offhand I
would appreciate an answer.

Thanks,
Csaba.