Re: Forcing current WAL file to be archived

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Forcing current WAL file to be archived
Date: 2006-07-25 15:37:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Where are we on these TODO items:
>
> > o Allow point-in-time recovery to archive partially filled
> > write-ahead logs [pitr]
>
> I believe we'd agreed that the necessary infrastructure for this is
> just a function to tell the current WAL segment name and offset.

Not that I remember. That was just a proposal for backpatching to
8.1/8.0 so that it would be easier to cope with PITR at those releases.

> > o Automatically force archiving of partially-filled WAL files when
> > pg_stop_backup() is called or the server is stopped
>
> I see no need for that to be "automatic". I'd vote for a simple
> function pg_finish_wal_segment() or something like that, which you
> call just after pg_stop_backup() if you want this behavior. Trying
> to tie it into pg_stop_backup() will only make things more complicated
> and less flexible.

Putting it into pg_stop_backup was what we previously agreed.

Where is the loss of flexibility?

I need to get this straight because I was actually intending to do this
for 8.2, i.e. next few days.

--
Simon Riggs