root/administartor user check option.

From: Gevik Babakhani <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: root/administartor user check option.
Date: 2006-07-25 10:01:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I would like to start a discussion about having an extra option in PG
which makes possible to bypass (or not check) whether the current user
has root/administrative privileges especially (or only) for Windows.

The following is the situation:

It would be great to be able to distribute PG as standalone database for
an standalone application within Windows. Because of the security check
within PG an extra Windows user must be created(postgres user). This is
not always possible/wanted because of the Windows (XP) user profile
settings on some operational domains. Network admins tend to lock most
of the things for normal users on Windows/XP in most companies which
disallows creating an extra user for PG and installing it as service on
Windows clients

Next to above most of the Windows users at home are local admins which
is not accepted by PG (when starting up).

In my case I need to distribute PG within the setup of a custom
standalone application. This is done very easily with MS Access, MSDE,
Firebird even with MySQL.

I was thinking of an extra startup option or perhaps a compile time
option in ./configure