Re: Join optimization for inheritance tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Join optimization for inheritance tables
Date: 2009-09-23 02:52:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I don't think that waiting for our plans for a more robust partitioning
> implementation is a reason to put off improvements to the implementation
> we have.

The complaint I had was that this patch consisted largely of code that
we'd want to throw away once a better partitioning implementation is in
place. I don't object to partial patches that move us forward on the
agreed-on path, but this one seemed to be going sideways.

> What about simply eliminating joins between partitioned tables by
> checking which columns' constraints match exactly or are subsets?

If it could be done with a <emphasis>small</> amount of throwaway
code, maybe ...